Mixing Gasoline and Chlorine = ?
a***@gmail.com
2005-01-09 23:48:40 UTC
Hi All,

I read online that mixing gasoline and chlorine can have an explosive
result, and I just wanted to know if that was accurate? I have no
intentions of doing this reaction, mainly because I don't want to
risk..anything, but I was just wondering if it were true. If it is, can
someone explain why it does that?

Thanks--

Adam
beavith
2005-01-10 15:09:53 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Hi All,
I read online that mixing gasoline and chlorine can have an explosive
result, and I just wanted to know if that was accurate? I have no
intentions of doing this reaction, mainly because I don't want to
risk..anything, but I was just wondering if it were true. If it is, can
someone explain why it does that?
Thanks--
Adam
ahhh. the good old days...

kids tend to get into chemistry for one of two reasons: drugs or
explosives.

presumably, you're talking about "pool chlorine." that would be
calcium hypochlorite, AKA dry bleach. if you read the label, you'll
note that it says "strong oxidizer" and "keep dry" and "keep away
from flame." oh yeah. "keep away from children"

its such a good oxidizer that if it gets damp, it can self ignite.
wood chips? grass clippings? toenail clippings? if you provide a
"fuel" to an "oxidizer" mayhem is likely to result.

one gallon of gasoline has the explosive capability of 6 sticks of
dynamite by burning in air, by itself.

"pool chlorine" and gasoline is an UNCONTROLLABLE mixture that may
burn, explode, fizzle ond produce an asphyxiating amount of chlorine
gas. there's literally no way to predict what'll happen.

the basic chemistry is what follows:

1 equivalent of fuel + 1 equivalent of oxidizer + spark------>
combustion products + heat

for instance

C (coal) + O2 ------> CO2 + heat

when you burn coal in air.

when "pool chlorine" burns stuff, a lot of heat is generated, but its
also burning in air, so the oxygen in the air provides even more
oxidizing potential.

bleach fires are messy. gasoline is dangerous in your car.

play with neither. they are dangerous chemicals that have a
productive use when used for the intended purpose.

if you do use them in this mistaken fashion, please call ahead to the
local burn ward to make sure a bed is available. you will need it, if
you survive.
ronlin
2005-01-10 22:11:03 UTC
You don't even need the spark, if the oxidizer is strong enough the
mixture will ignite spontaneously. Pure phosphine will ignite
immeadiately upon exposure to air.
you survive.
beavith
2005-01-11 14:58:00 UTC
Post by ronlin
You don't even need the spark, if the oxidizer is strong enough the
mixture will ignite spontaneously. Pure phosphine will ignite
immeadiately upon exposure to air.
true. with the mixture adam was proposing a spark is definitely
"optional". that's why i called it unpredictable.
oh yeah. <G> making phosphine smoke rings... boy, you should've
seen my chemistry set when i was about 15. i've still got most of it
boxed up in my garage. it'd probably freak out the local haz waste
authorities. i'll have to go thru it and send the dangerous/valuable
stuff (5 kg of Hg, Cr compunds, Pb compounds, Na, K, P)

<sigh>

it sucks getting old.

a***@gmail.com
2005-01-10 23:15:22 UTC
thanks -- i was just curious to the chemistry of the matter. i didn't
think to think of chlorine as an oxidizer, but now it makes sense.

adam
Jim
2005-01-11 05:04:14 UTC
I think fluorine gas would create a much more exothermic reaction. :)

Sigh--what I wouldn't give for the good old days.

Jim